Sunday, November 29, 2015

Cebu Regis Leadership Leader Bryan V. Evangelista - Enneagram

Regis Cebu Leadership

Leader Bryan Peter V. Evangelista

Enneagram

It is my first time to take this test. I was and a bit skeptical as I
believed that I may be a combination of personality types. True
enough after taking the test, the scores indicated that I was 1 of 3
types. This scares me a bit. Does this mean I am bipolar?

The highest score, so evidently, this is my dominant personality type
was Type 5 or the Thinker, Observer. As described in the website of
Eclecticenergies where I took the free Enneagram test, Enneagram Type
5 are:




"Thinkers who tend to withdraw and observe. People of this
personality type essentially fear that they don't have enough inner
strength to face life, so they tend to withdraw, to retreat into the
safety and security of the mind where they can mentally prepare for
their emergence into the world."

There is truth into this as I do have a propensity to do a lot of
introspection. I will be in deep thought rationalizing, looking for
options and alternatives to issues or problems. Weighing the
advantages and disadvantages of a situation is as normal as breathing
in and out. This is one reason why I take too long to make decisions
because I constantly look for too many variables to a problem thus the
permutations in terms of solutions grow exponentially. Since I have
so many alternatives or options in mind, I usually end up more
confused, even to the point of being indecisive. In recent years,
especially in my career, I call this Analysis Paralysis. Too much
thinking and for other people, they end up doing nothing. In my case,
this introspection delays my decision making. I am not the type that
shoots from the hip. On the upside I am not prone to jumping to
conclusions or doing things at a whims notice. Almost everything is
well thought of. On the downside, it does lead to some sort of
procrastination and admittedly to indecision. As I reflected on my
time line, I realized that indeed I may be more of type 5 as I can
cite many instances in my life that I thought too much when the
answers could have been so simple. Looking at my Life Line, one
classic example of how too much thinking almost cost me dearly was my
decision to get married.

Up until now, after 3 children, 30 lbs. later and well into 15 years
of marriage, my wife still rubs in the fact that I never proposed to
her. She would every so often remind me that, "You owe me the
moment". Meaning I owe her a romantic, sweep off her feet proposal.
Truth be told I never proposed. My version of the proposal was a
conversation over the pros and cons of getting married. After weeks of
discussing, more like arguing, it was a stale mate. Do not get me
wrong, I love my ex-girlfriend dearly. Why else would I leave Manila
to be with her in Cebu? Uprooting myself was one thing but getting
married was such a big emotional and financial commitment and to my
mind, we were not ready. My parents heard of this and they solved the
problem for us. On my birthday in the year 2000, they flew to Cebu. I
thought it was to celebrate the birthday of their eldest son. When I
picked them up at the Mactan Airport they told me to drive them to
where they could take out food and then go straight to my
ex-girlfriend's house. Once we got there, I realized they were here
for something else. They were there to "climb for love". This is
Google's translation for the Filipino word Pamamanhikan. We got
married in May 27, 2000 or 3 months later.

"Thinkers are generally intelligent, well read and thoughtful and they
frequently become experts in the areas that capture their interest"

Since I am a humble person by nature, I do not really consider myself
intelligent; but definitely I am not dumb. And again I do tend to
focus and learn more about things that capture my fancy or interest.
One thing is for certain when it comes to Insurance I know my
business. One would think that I am good at what I do since I've been
in the business since 1996 when I joined a local insurance company; up
until today with a multi-national company where my current loyalties
lay. This industry is my first job right after college and I've been
in this business ever since. I do not just consider my tenure as my
only reason for being an expert in this field. I have read many
books, articles, attended many trainings and seminars even reading the
Insurance Code of the Philippines as I realized that I am fascinated
and engaged in this business. I think highly of what we do here and
no one can change my mind (another attitude of a Type 5). People who
know my personality easily get surprised that I know how to cook and I
am good at it, so my children say. I have read books on different
culinary styles. On weekends, I go through the internet searching for
interesting recipes and of course apply my new learnings every weekend
as I take over the chores of cooking the family meal for lunch and
dinner.

"Fives are usually somewhat restrained when it comes to emotional
expression, but they often have stronger feelings than they let on.
Few people know what is going on beneath the surface, as Fives have an
often exaggerated need for privacy and a deep seated fear of
intrusion'"

Consistent throughout my career, I've had a somewhat aloof
personality. I am friendly; however in a manner of speaking, at the
same time reserved. I don't let everything out. I am difficult to
amuse, please, or smile. Yes, my mythological smile is something that
you will only see if taking a group picture. If there's one emotion
that may easily slip every so often would be disappointment. I usually
give this impression that I am difficult to please and let me tell you
right now, yes I am difficult to please. I am not shallow and not
easily bemused with what are trivial things to me. That's at work.
My family life would be different. The smallest things that my
children would do can make my heart feel light. When it comes to this
emotion, you will know how I feel if you know the lines on my face. I
may not say anything or do anything but my facial expression says it
all.

When I started writing this reflection on my Enneagram, I was
skeptical. But as I kept on typing away on my laptop, I began to see
more and more that I am indeed a Type 5. I am comfortable in my
thoughts, nonintrusive, independent, at times indifferent with a hint
of intellectual arrogance, generally restrained in my emotions and
very private. As the old adage goes, "Silent waters run deep".

No comments:

Post a Comment