Thursday, November 26, 2015

Cebu Regis Leadership Reflection Paper No. 1 by Leader Dr. Kerwin Mark L. Gubantes MD

Dear Professor Jorge,

Good morning! I hope you find the reflection I did on the moments that defined me interesting to read.

Sincerely,
Leader Kerwin Mark L. Gubantes, MD.


CEBU - REGIS Leadership
REFLECTION PAPER # 1 - My Defining Moments
Leader Kerwin Mark L. Gubantes, MD.


I would like to believe that there are three defining moments in my life. The first one brings me back to the wonderful, carefree times in high school. During those years, my life revolved around school activities and growing up with my sisters Carlyn and Christine and Mama. My father was conspicuously not around during my formative years because he sacrificed to work overseas to be able to support our family. I never really understood the impact of growing up without my father around until now that I have a family of my own. I could not really blame anyone, we could not possibly dictate how our lives move forward. As a dutiful son, I did my best to excel in school so much so that I graduated High school as the class Salutatorian. I never expected it to be honest but knowing what just happened, I started to realise the potential I have to probably achieve greater things in life. All I need to do is to be diligent in my studies and see where it leads me.I would have to say that Don Bosco High School did a good job in inculcating and cultivating in us the values of hardwork, prayerful life and diligence. These values sustained me through the difficult and challenging years later in my life in College and Medical school. These are the same values that I am trying to impart on my children. Another important aspect of my formative years in high school is the Love for Sport. Don Bosco system allows children to really play because sports helps build good character. It allows us to bring balance to our stressful lives as well as to ensure good health. Presently, I make sure that I dedicate enough time and effort to do biking and swimming just to stay healthy.




The second defining moment in my life was when I got accepted to study at the University of Santo Tomas. During those times, the EDSA Revolution was still very fresh in our memories and Probinsiyanos like me relish the thought of the oppurtunity to learn and study in a reputable university in Manila like the University of Santo Tomas. Rich in history and tradition, I felt privileged to be part of the Thomasian community. Foremost of my priority that time however is to ensure how to survive the rigors of Life in the Big City that I am not used to. There were nights that I was in tears having missed the company of my siblings and parents and I just wanted to go home. My father at this time came home having lost his job because of the Gulf War. I felt all alone, even though I was living with my relatives . Maybe it was my desire to succeed and achieve my dream which kept me up to my toes. I always thought of my parents and how they sacrificed a lot just to send me to a good school and earn my degree. My time at the University opened opportunities for me to hone not only my academic but also my leadership skills. I became active in the Red Cross Youth Organisation, serving as its' President at one point. We organized and conducted activities geared towards helping people who are affected by calamities in the form of Medical and Relief missions. We traveled as far as the Mountain Province in the North and Bicol Region in the South of Manila. These experiences has taught me the value of compassion for the poor and the needy. Malasakit as it is translated in the local dialect, cannot be learned in the four corners of the classroom, but rather is only experienced in the aftermath of typhoons, volcanic eruptions and earthquakes that leaves a path of destruction and scar in people's lives.There is so much suffering out there, we don't have to go out very far from our doorstep to realise it. After college, I was at a Crossroads in my life. I was in a dilemma of deciding to pursue a higher calling or not. It was a toss up between going into the Priestly vocation or pursuing a Medical education. I asked for a sign from Him who created me and the response came in the form of a call from the Medical school informing me that I was accepted to pursue a Medical career. It was a tough decision as well as a challenge especially in the first year of Medical school. My Nursing college course was not a very ideal preparatory degree for Medicine. However with sheer determination and intent, I got through the remedial exams in Biochemistry. Failure would have sent me through a different path. Having survived the first year, which for me is the most difficult stage of my Medical education, the rest is history. After passing the Medical Board exams in 1998, I pursued my dream of becoming a surgeon. Being an instrument of Healing by the gift and skill of being able to remove a tutor which is causing pain and distress is not only fulfilling but at the same time a blessing to others. Although my participation in Surgical missions around the country to help those in need have been few lately, I have not stopped my vocation and advocacy of extending help to those who need my expertise. I still encounter a good number of patients who could not afford to avail of Surgical services and so I take every opportunity I have to help them however I can as a Private practitioner.

The third defining moment I have is when the time arrived in 2004 for me to start my own Family. I got engaged to my wife Desiree after a 2-year relationship and we decided to take the plunge so to speak. Married life is a difficult challenge for me especially since I was just starting my Professional career as a Head and Neck Surgeon. I had to learn how to balance everything from the Budget, to raising the kids, helping out my sick and elderly parents as well as helping my sisters earn there Masteral degrees and still have enough savings for the rainy days. I just felt very blessed to have sustained everyone all these years. The good Lord has blessed our marriage with two beautiful , smart and healthy daughters who are driving every ounce of energy in me. Priorities have truly changed and I am excited with the newer challenges ahead. I do not pretend to be a perfect Father to my children or a perfect husband to my wife. It is a work in progress. Now I realised how important is the role and presence of a Father in the formative years of the kids. They always look up to me not only for guidance , but also for stability and strength in the home as we live our earthly lives. Gabriella is in her Adolescent years and has a different set of goals and needs from her sister Sasha who is still in Preschool. I relish every moment I have with them and I continue to hope and pray that I may continue to be healthy to see them achieve there Dreams.

1 comment: