Sunday, November 29, 2015

Regis Cebu Leadership Movie Synopsis, Analysis of JCampbelll Monomyth and My Life Story by Leader Ivy Eleanor Ko

Regis Cebu Leadership Movie Synopsis, Analysis of JCampbelll Monomyth and My Life Story by Leader Ivy Eleanor Ko

 Synopsis of Movie The Lady
The Lady, a movie created in Year 2011 movie starring Michelle Yeoh and David Thelwis is my selected film for my paper. This movie is the love story of Burma's Peace Prize Laureate, Aung San Suu Kyi, and husband Michael Aris. It is also the epic story of the peaceful quest of the woman who is at the core of Burma's democracy movement. Despite distance, long separations, and a dangerously hostile regime, their love endures until the very end. Like Joseph Palmer's "Hero with a thousand faces" who travels in 12 stages, Aung San Suu Kyi also had her own series of adventures.

The Hero is introduced in his ordinary world
Aung San Suu Kyi was born June 19, 1945 in Rangoon, Burma to General Aung San and Daw Khin. The general was one of the 'Thirty Comrades' who spearheaded the Japanese advance into British Burma, before turning against the Japanese and founded the modern Burmese army and negotiated Burma's independence from the British Empire in 1947; he was assassinated by his rivals in the same year.




Suu Kyi was only 2 years old, and this marked her life's first tragedy, and Burma's first national tragedy. The event marked her life deeply as if she had a debt towards her nation and an obligation towards her father. 

Suu Kyi spent much of her childhood in Burma, where was noted as having talent of learning languages. In 1960, her mother Daw Khin was appointed as Burma's diplomat to India with her daughter following her there. She studied in Lady Sri Ram College in Delhi and have a gained a wide circle of Indian friends. In 1964, Suu went to Oxford where she studied for three years to earn a BA in philosophy, politics and economics. Later she got her first work experience as an assistant secretary in the United Nations Secretariat working primarily on budget matters. It was there when she met a young and brilliant British Dr. Michael Aris, a scholar of Tibetan Buddhist tradition, living in Bhutan.  

When Michael proposed, Suu made an agreement with him: "I only ask one thing, that, should my people need me, you would help me to do my duty by them", which he wholeheartedly agreed. The couple were blessed with two sons, Alexander on 1973 and Kim on 1977. Her passion for learning never stopped. Suu became a scholar in Japan, London, India between 1985-1987. After several years of living abroad, the family returned to London in early 1988 but barely two months afterwards, fate caught up with her as her mother had a stroke in Burma in March 1988 and Suu had to immediately leave England for her country. 

Months after her arrival in Rangoon, the old military director General Ne Win resigned, triggering pro-democracy movements. Thousands of people are killed in anti-government riots. The military declared martial law, arrests thousands of people, including advocates of democracy and human rights, renames Burma 'Myanmar', with the capital, Rangoon, becoming Yangon. 

The Call to Adventure
Being the fearless daughter of General Aung San, the architect for Burmese freedom, the calling for her to continue her father's legacy was expected.  'Would you mind very much should such a situation ever arise? How probable it is I do not know, but the possibility is there?' Suu had once written to Michael. 

The Hero is reluctant at first
As a wife and a mother, Suu Kyi's first priority was her family especially that they have been apart for quite a while for her studies and career advancement. As she is back home, she should spend more time with her growing children.  "Her knowledge of the Burmese heritage, her wonderful fluency in her own language, and very important, her refusal to give up her own Burmese citizenship and passport? All these factors conspired with the sad circumstances of her mother's final illness to make her engagement unavoidable," her husband later wrote.

The Hero is encouraged by a wise man
From the prodding of political party leaders, who told her to that there would be no one else who could be the face of Burma's democracy, On August 26, 1988, she addressed one million people assembled at the Shwedagon Pagoda in Rangoon. 'I could not, as my father's daughter, remain indifferent to all that was going on. This national crisis could, in fact, be called the second struggle for national independence.' She thus became the leader of the opposition National League for Democracy. In 1989, she was put under house arrest. 

The hero passes the first threshold
From that day onwards she spent most of her time in confinement or protective custody. In May 1990, despite her continued detention, her party won a landslide victory in the general election;  secured 82% of the seats. But the generals have refused to validate the results of the election and kept her under house arrest. 

Being on house arrest means she cannot see her family since she went to Burma to take care of her sick mother. She had to sacrifice her personal life and became an absentee mother and wife. Despite the distance, her husband supported her decision and continue to send her books and magazines to keep her occupied.

In 1991 she was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, but her fortune did not improve. Her sons Alexander and Kim accepted the Nobel Peace Prize on her behalf. Aung San Suu Kyi used the Nobel Peace Prize's 1.3 million USD prize money to establish a health and education trust for the Burmese people. Around this time, Suu Kyi chose non-violence as an expedient political tactic, stating in 2007, "I do not hold to non-violence for moral reasons, but for political and practical reasons."

The hero encounters tests and helpers
While under house arrest Suu Kyi spent her time reading philosophy, politics and biographies that her husband had sent her. She also passed the time playing the piano, and was occasionally allowed visits from foreign diplomats as well as from her personal physician. On several occasions during Suu Kyi's house arrest, she had periods of poor health and as a result was hospitalized.
Suu Kyi was granted permission to leave Burma under the condition that she never return. Rather than abandon her people, Suu Kyi submitted to house arrest and decided to sacrifice a life with her husband and her two young sons, in order to stand by her people: "As a mother, the greater sacrifice was giving up my sons, but I was always aware of the fact that others had given up more than me. I never forget that my colleagues who are in prison suffer not only physically, but mentally for their families who have no security outside- in the larger prison of Burma under authoritarian rule.
Her loyalty to the people of Burma and her solidarity with those imprisoned for their pro-democratic acts have earned her deep respect among the Burmese people. 

Hero reaches his innermost cave
In 1997, Dr. Aris was diagnosed with prostate cancer which was later found to be terminal. Several countries, prominent individuals and organisations, including the United States government, United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan and Pope John Paul II, made appeals to the Burmese authorities to allow Dr Aris a visa. The Burmese government would not grant him a visa to visit Burma, saying that they did not have the facilities to care for him, and instead urged Aung San Suu Kyi to leave the country to visit him. She was at that time temporarily free from house arrest but was unwilling to depart, fearing that she would be refused re-entry if she left, as she did not trust the junta's assurance that she could return.

The hero endures the supreme ordeal
Dr. Aris died of prostate cancer on his 53rd birthday in 1999 in Oxford, United Kingdom. After 1989, when his wife was first placed under house arrest, he had seen her only five times, the last of which was for Christmas in 1995, after Aung San released for the first time.

Though she had not seen him since 1995 and he was dying from prostate cancer, he was refused a visa and not allowed to visit her a last time. Suu Kyi could have left Myanmar to see him, but it was clear that the junta would not have allowed her to return. Forced to choose between her husband and her country, she opted for the latter.

The hero seizes the sword
The Burmese government detained and kept Suu Kyi imprisoned because it viewed her as someone likely to undermine the community peace and stability of the country. She continuously appealed her detention and many nations and figures continued to call for her release and that of 2,100 other political prisoners in the country. 

The Road Back
Aung San Suu Kyi was placed under house arrest for a total of 15 years over a 21 year period, on numerous occasions, since she began her political career during which time she was prevented from meeting her party supporters and international visitors.

No matter what, she remained steadfast and this made the people see that this woman was serious in her advocacy. Her actions were being monitored by the international community.  Year after year, appeals from the US president, the UN secretary general, the Dalai Lama, other Nobel Laureates and thousands of other personalities from the West and Asia, nothing has moved the junta.

Resurrection
As her popularity grew stronger and stronger, more and more people were not afraid to attend her rallies, and showed their support. And she was release from her house arrest to campaign.
On November 12, 2010, days after the junta-backed Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDP) won elections conducted after a gap of 20 years, the junta finally agreed to sign orders allowing Suu Kyi's release and Suu Kyi's house arrest term came to an end. 

He returns with the Elixir
Released from house arrest, Barricades were removed. Her son Kim Aris was granted a visa in November 2010 to see his mother shortly after her release, for the first time in 10 years. Although we know she was never able to sit in her elected post back in 2010, Aung San Suu Kyi undoubtedly achieved the support of the Burmese people, who are one with her cause. But recent history would prove to be the ultimate Elixir as her party won a sweeping victory just this month, November 2015. Although current constitution would not allow her (people with foreign spouses or offspring) to become president of the country, Suu Kyi has repeatedly said she would lead the country if her party wins.

                                                                                REFLECTION PAPER
                                                                   
The Hero is introduced in his ordinary world.
I grew up in an ordinary typical Chinese family. I was brought up with the Chinese culture and respecting the elders was the value my parents give a very high importance upon. Whatever my parents say, it is expected that we follow without questions. Plus the fact I went to a Catholic school. The fifth commandment of "Honor thy Father and thy mother" was a big thing for me. No, I am not saying my parents, in fact they are not. I never remembered a time when we were scolded for not following their instructions, but this is the way I show my respect.  Growing up, my focus was really just school. I was not so active in extra-curricular activities. I don't play any musical instruments, sing nor dance, or have any interest in sports. Because this was the sole focus, we were thought to make good at school.

When I graduated from college and started working, I started to see and observe difference in people I meet and work with. I realized we were brought up in a very sheltered life. I was very introvert and I found it difficult to be in a social situation. 

As I matured in the organizations I've worked with, I have gained new friends, joined socio and civic organizations, Achieve my competent leader and competent speaker awards in the Aboitiz Toastmaster's club, got to facilitate seminars. These activities really boost up my morale. Moreover, with my own income, I can buy the things that I need without being too budget conscious. I got to travel, see and explore the world. I don't feel belittled anymore that I don't have any talent of an artist or skills of an athlete. Everything was just amazing. I realized I was completely enjoying the new found wings I grew.

The Call to Adventure
My first struggle as a leader was when I was asked to leave my position as a Junior Finance Analyst in Aboitiz Equity Ventures (A holding company) and step up to be the Finance Manager of Pilmico Foods Corportation –PFC ( A Food subsidiary of the Aboitiz Group).  Having found my wings in AEV, it was a  struggle for me to say Yes to the move as I have to adjust again. That year, I just came from a leadership seminar, where my new mantra was – There is nothing constant in the world, but change. You have to step out of your comfort zone, constantly challenge status quo, as this is the only chance that you will grow. – With that in mind, I half heartedly accepted the challenge and agreed to the move in employer.

The Hero is Reluctant at first
With no experience managing anyone at all, it was very difficult to immediately lead a team of 5, who comprises of multi-generations and are based multi-site. So I won't be overwhelmed with the new position, I asked the company to get the Finance Officer position first, and only offer to me the Finance Manager position when I would be ready, and they agreed. Fast forward. Since the CFO had to leave the company due to personal reasons, I had to step up and do some functions of the CFO and be directly reporting to the company's President and CEO. I was promoted to be the Finance Manager after 3 months in the company. Since PFC is one of the top 10,000 corporations in the Philippines, the tasks of the CFO is no joke. Being the Finance Manager, I had to multi task and take over some of the responsibilities of the CFO. I grew up immediately.

The Hero is encouraged by a wise man
I was very lucky that the President and CEO, Mr Antonio Moraza, who is very patient and generous. He gives me an hour of his Monday afternoons to coach me on areas that I need assistance on. He guides me on people handling matters on top of assigning his HR manager to make me her first priority. Despite all these assistance, I had to learn things the hard way. This situation awakened the leader in me. It took me around 2 months to piece everything together, and took 6 months for the company to find a new CFO.  In that span of time, I got to learn everything fast and I believed this was the time when I learned the most in the organization.

I prayed for a very good CFO so I can learn more things from her. Of course at my young age, I want a leader who can mentor me and tell me if I am doing the right things. I want a boss who I can look up to not just only in my career, but my personal development as well. And thankfully, I found this in the new CFO, Ms Ebbie Mabatid, who up to this day is one of the most important person in my life. 

Another mentor who I look up to is Mr Sabin Aboitiz, who taught me that leadership is not because you're on top but you, in whatever position you hold control your own leadership. Sabin is the type of leader who gives you the freedom to do your style, but expects result at the end. He is motivational, frank, people centric, and generously rewards you for things you do with passion.

My Dad was always somebody I talk to about how I am faring at work. He is my person to go to especially when there are difficult decisions to make. He is my number one cheerleader and he motivates me to do my best and all challenges that were thrown to me. He encourages me to be the best that I can be, and he always tells me that he is very proud of how I have become from the shy, silent and introvert child that I was before.

The hero passes the first threshold
Amidst all of these success that I have encountered in my career, I have not heard my mom congratulating me, or telling me that she is proud of me. Of course, that was really emotionally difficult for me. My mom seemed not proud of me. Whenever I go on trips, she always have something negative to say. Whenever I feel that I am wearing my best corporate get-up, she always have something to criticize. We always get into arguments and fights for just the smallest things. I was struggling internally and questioning why she is like that. Good thing I can talk to Papa, and my mentors at work, if not, I would have been emotionally imbalanced.

The hero encounters tests and helpers
My way of knowing how I am faring at work is thru the quarterly performance appraisals that is done. At first, I don't like doing this so much as this is a bit stressful to be criticized again, but as I got used to it, I look forward to it and learned a lot from it. 

Another evaluation is the corporate Harrisson assessment activities that the company does, especially to employees they view to have potential. Similar to the Enneagram exams, you typically answer 100+ questions, and it spits out the candidate's traits, motivations, areas of strength, weakness, and improvement. It's quite amazing that this tool is available, and accessible to us in the group. The most notable factor that was low in my rating was my very low self confidence but high self improvement rating. Self confidence was always 4 out of 10, while self improvement was always 10 for the first 2 assessment, and my boss was prodding why, how come you have such low self esteem. I would always relate it to how we were brought up, how I felt unappreciated at my efforts. Good thing that the corporate programs always find ways to keep our motivations up, and as I matured, I was able to correct that aspect. 

When I was still dating with my then boyfriend (now husband), our conversions would at times lead to my relationship with my mom and how frustrated I am with her. Most of the time, he would make me understand that priorities and styles of people are different, and my mom may just be weak at showing emotions. The fact she brought all four of us siblings up very well is a clear manifestation of how she love and care for us. After these conversations, I get to see a different perspective and understand my mom more and more. 

Hero reaches his innermost cave
When I got married, and moved into our home and stayed with my parents in laws, it was another new adjustment for me. Well, yes, we have similar culture, values, and principles being both belonging to a traditional Chinese family. However, seeing new dynamics and relationship between my husband and his mother makes me very envious of my relationship with my mom.
 They have a loving, communicative, and supportive relationship. They have common interest in music, once in a while, they go on trips together, and he makes time to have long meals with his parents after a hard day's work. In short, he also works hard to develop the relationship with his mom, and that is something that I have lack doing. 

The hero endures the supreme ordeal
Realizing that I put too much blame on my mother and expect too much from her, without looking into what I lack myself, I felt really guilty and selfish for being so mean to her all these years. Why she is that way is because of the environment that she was brought up with, and may not be because she prefers to make my life difficult. My mom and I may have different views and opinions on things, but who I am today and the values and trainings she has inculcated when we were children are all hers and that I should give credit to her. 

The Hero seizes the sword 
Now that I became a mother myself, I can understand the struggles my mother has put up with while rearing us up. It is not easy to become a mother of one, much more, four. The responsibility of a mother never ends. When I was pregnant, my mother was always there for me. She makes sure I eat healthy, eat my vitamins, and will be ready when I go into labor. She was the first one to arrive the hospital when I checked in for delivery. She was the first one to carry my baby next to my husband. She was in the hospital everyday early morning till night to ensure my baby and I are okay. This was my eye opener that my mom is a very caring person, she just shows it in a different way. She just cannot express her emotions in words and thoughts, but thru her caring actions.

The Road back
Now that I stopped working and have more free time, I try my best to spend more time with my mother, to catch up on times that I was too busy for work to accompany her to places she wants to go. Because life has become less stressful, I now have time to think thru and analyze how I can further cultivate my relationship with mama. I try my best to have plan and have weekly activities with her so we can bond together with her grandchild. We siblings also encourage her to go on trips which we fund, for her to experience and see the world as we did, because budget was a bit tight then and she was too busy taking care of us on her younger years. 

Resurrection
Over the past year, I am very happy to say that the relationship that I have with my mother are better than ever. She understands and supports my decisions, though there are still time when she questions the way I do things. But I don't find anything wrong with it anymore, and realize that is her way of showing she cares. 

Return of Elixir
Having achieved this sense of satisfaction and happiness totally brings out the positivity in me which is something I have been yearning for a long time. What I perceived as negative before was in fact her way of showing love. Finally now, I have felt my mother's love.  4

<This is the way the others would revise the paper they have submitted.  Others lacked the JCampbell monomyth, and others lacked their life story, and the 12, stages. I am glad somebody got it right!!! VG)

2 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful. You just raised the bar higher. Still I can hear Prof Jorge saying "magis"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just an echo of Chris Lowney's Heroic Leadership.

    ReplyDelete