Sunday, November 15, 2015

Welcome to the Cebu Leadership Class

'Quamplurimi et quam aptissimi" (As many as possible of the very best)

Ateneo Graduate School of Business
GF Cebu Holdings Building
Ayala Center Cebu City

Welcome Leaders to the Cebu Leadership course for AGSB

                      Leaders Maricel and Bryan (both undergrad from the Green school)

Fourteen Leaders answered the starting gun for the first day of class.  One flew in from Manila for this class, and investment banker whose home address is at BGC  three are involved in financial analysis, one is a Doctor of Medicine (ENT) from Dumaguete, two run family business (are moms) one a is a senior officer of the Philippine Navy, one is a lawyer, one is a marketing director of an insurance company, one is a middle manager of Philhealth, one is an investment banker, one runs the power plant of large cement plant now owned by the Aboitiz.   Two used to work for Aboitiz.  Another lady is a manager running an equipment company.  Ano

One the class secretary, Mel is an Area President of a religious group

The enrollees as of Friday the 13th was 13, last Sunday, it was only 7.   They said the Humres class was abolished hence the huge turn out for the Leader class.

The class started with the playing of the song from You Tube Pananagutan to emphasize the why and the how of leadership - that  of accountability and responsibility.  Leader Bryan broke the ice.  Then came the self introduction by each member of the class: 1   brief background, 2  why are you taking leadership (although we know that the usual answer is that the student is taking this by default, somehow, the Lecturer seeks purpose, and engagement from the enrolees so that there can be engagement which is an important aspect of learning) It took us two hours to complete this activity. Then it took us one hour to prepare for the debate - are leaders born, made or situational.

Thus the group and which is the permanent grouping is as follows:



Cebu AGSB campus

                                             Signage for the AGSB Ceb campus

                                Cebu Holdings building where the AGSB Cebu classrooms are...




                            Untrimmed hedges at the Cebu Holdings building




                        Leaders Mel, Maricel (from Taytay Rizal pala), Juvelon and Melissa


                         Leader Dr. Kerwin Mark Gubantes, the last to introduce himself, was given
                          a standing ovation.  He is a road biker and so he is very slim and fit

                                Dr Kerwin Mark  invited me to bike in Dumaguete


Leading the debate

                         The judges group of Leaders Maricel, Melissa and Lt Cmdr Andre announcing the
                          the rules of engagement of the debate


                                 Figuring out a strategy on how to conduct a 3 way debate


                                     The born group of Leader Pedro, Juvelon and Bryan

The Leaders' lunch at Ayala terraces

                         The Lady Leaders having lunch:  Ivy, Glym, Genevieve, Dovie, and Maricel


                       The Gentlemen Leaders ordering lunch:  Dr. Kerwin Mark, Oliver, Andre, Juvelon,                                      Melissa and Mel


                                    Nice landscaping at Terraces



                                        Group Picture of Gentlemen Leaders at Cebu Regis




Group 1:  Leaders Ivy Ko, Pedro Leonard Castaneda,  Bryan Peter Evangelista, Juvelon Abante

Group 2,  Leader Melchor Daclan, Dr Kerwin Mark Gubantes,  Atty Glym Reuyan, Oliver Solijon

Group 3,    Leader Dovie Sainz, Izumi Yamashita,  Genevive Ramos

Group 4:   Leader Lt Cmdr Lito Andre Ladan,  Maricel Ngo, Melissa Abarrientos

We completed the debate by 11:45 and some lecture points were made until twelve.

The judges who are composed of Leaders Andre, Maricel and Melissa decided that it was the situational group (who were most cogent and most logical in their approach and communication ) who won.  Congratulations:  the situational group.!!

We had lunch at the Terraces.  It was an extended lunch that ran beyond the prescribed break time and we resumed class at 1:45.

In the afternoon, we had the graded GW, planning a crime.  They found out that the methodology, the processes in planning a legit business and a crime are the same.  5w and 1H.  And some presentations lacked an exit strategy - what to do when caught (reminds us of the 12 commandments.   Wait there are only 10 right?  What are the 11th and 12th?)

The crimes were:  Money laundering, Corruption at the LGU/govt, child trafficking, and gun running (renting - well you can run this only if you have AFP connections) This reminds us of the Disney joke.

Later  after the group crimes we walked through the assignments which can be seen by clicking the link  Assignments for the Regis Class The current Leaders must click the link and read very well the guidelines.   This is graduate school stuff, and therefore the Leaders must strive to understand these guidelines very well.  The examples are in the site.  The group members must conduct study meetings to understand and plan the making submission of the assignment during the  week where there is no meeing

The archives  of important posts must be read too.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Prof Jorge,

    Thank you for reaching out and getting our thoughts on how the first session went. I really appreciate it.

    To be frank about things, When I was holding a key position in the corporate life, I have been so used in numbers, technicals, and reporting that I have not really put so much attention to the soft side of things like reflection, meditation, or readings to upgrade myself on leadership. I did try, but I cannot catch up. Yes, we do quarterly appraisals on ourselves and our subordinates, attend seminars to update our technical and management skills, but feeding the soul and reflecting on things is something I have not done for the longest time.

    Eversince I took a breather in the corporate world, took a consultant position to prioritize family life last 2014, I thought I could catch up on readings and things I have left out when I was too busy working, but I was wrong. Raising a baby is a 24/7 job, plus the fact I decided to enroll in MBA so I can upgrade my skills and knowledge since I stopped being in the corporate life. I still have a lot of things to do on my list for self improvement and catching up on the tasks I procrastinated.

    That is why when Ms Marian gave us the CD upon enrollment, I was happy that I would be forced to do some readings on leadership. The book also gives a very interesting reading. Furthermore, When I saw your blog, boy, it was as if exploring on a gold mine. A lot more interesting articles and readings. I just hope I will be able to have the time and discipline to keep myself updated in the readings,on top of the family and work responsibilities.

    This is also the first time I've encountered a Professor who emphasizes the use of blogs in the course of education. This is something new for me, and of course exciting, as aside from learning about the fundamentals of leadership, I am learning to use blogs and the education via technology.

    Lastly, meeting new classmates and faces was also something I am very happy about. I am sure I would be able to learn a lot from each other's experiences and sharings, and this is something I look forward to every class.

    The subject is very helpful and refreshing as I navigate my life's journey. I want to be a good leader not only in my career, but also in my personal life as a wife, as a mother, and as a daughter. It is my passion to constantly improve things and challenge the status quo. I know that what I will learn in the course is something I will be able to apply, share, and teach to people who matters. Aside from that, I am also learning the Jesuit values, which will also help me understand Ateneo and the Regis program as I go along my MBA education.

    Again Prof Jorge, thank you for sharing your passion on leadership. Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a great comment/reflection. You set the tone on how a reflection should be made. Malalim (lum)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. For a first timer to do this. I am flattered to hear that Prof! Much thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete