Friday, November 27, 2015

CEBU REGIS Leadership ENNEAGRAM & LIFELINE Leader PL Castañeda

CEBU - REGIS Leadership 
ENNEAGRAM & LIFELINE
Leader Pedro Leonard G. Castañeda

The Enneagram was a new test to me when I took it, and I took two versions of it: the basic test and another version with instinctual variants. The following show the results:
Based on the basic test, I seem to have a 3w4 or 4wd personality, which corresponds to achiever (Type 3) and designer (Type 4). The variant test showed a different result, identifying me as a challenger (Type 8) but interestingly, scores showing types 3 and 4 were also strongly manifested.

I then plotted my simplified lifeline, which is shown below, to help me identify significant manifestations of my supposed personality type.


WHEN I WAS IN SCHOOL (1980-1998)

TYPE 3: Achiever
Type 3's are described as  people who "need to be validated in order to feel worthy; they pursue success and want to be admired. They are frequently hard working, competitive and are highly focused in the pursuit of their goals." Based on academic accomplishments, such as being part of the 250 students to pass the Philippine Science High School Exam out of tens of thousands of examinees, getting the top score in the NCEE in 1990, and getting into one of the most difficult quota courses in UP Diliman showed that I could excel in academic competition. Perhaps this had to do with being constantly told by my late grandmother of how brilliant my mother was, and of being constantly pressured to excel in school.

TYPE 4: Individualist
However, the negative side of my type 4 personality probably caused me to lose both achievements by not being able to focus on sustaining success. I can be moody and erratic, and probably, my insecurities about being an illegitimate child, about being poor, and the glaring contrast between my lack and the relative abundance of my half-sisters, contributed much to this.

Type 4's are described as "emotionally complex and highly sensitive. They long to be understood and appreciated for their authentic selves, but easily feel misunderstood and unappreciated... they  are often somewhat moody or temperamental." There was a positive side to my individualism and desire to be appreciated: there are times when wanting to stand above the crowd can prompt me to think out of the box (which is also a type 3 manifestation) and "prove to the world" that I am a person of worth

.

SINCE I STARTED WORKING (1998-2002)
The same impulses also came since I started working. I would perform well if my boss gave me ample space to be creative and was lavish in praise and validation. In fact, my first boss was practically a second father to me, and taught me a lot. My first supervisory position gave me the chance to excel and be recognized at work, and because it was a pioneer division, I was not straightjacketed by too many rules. In fact, I was even part of the team that drafted our operating guidelines.

GOING BACK TO COLLEGE (2002-2004)
There was a break in my career path, though, because I had to go back to college. At first it was depressing for me to be without a job, and in a school with no friends, no workmates and no girlfriend. That depression lasted for about a month, and evaporated when I realized what advantages I had: I knew much more than my classmates, had an allowance equal to the salary of most employees, and had my own apartment. It was my first time to live alone. I became active in campus politics, drawing around myself a small group of followers. Studies were practically effortless for me, and if not for the residency requirements, would have graduated with honors. I excelled as a way to validate myself before my eyes and the eyes of other people.

BEING A PROVIDER, HUSBAND & FATHER (2004-present)
The same drive for achievement, combined with the personality of being an identity-seeking individualist, were carried on after graduation and into work. When there were challenges that allowed me and my team to be recognized, I would work like a maniac to get everything prepared. I would always play to win and would not play if there was almost no chance of winning, or if the reward was not gratifying.

In 2009, I ventured into the world of sales, and the experience made me one of the top sales executives from Cebu. Since I never had any previous sales experience, I read up on everything related to what I was doing, attended seminars and trainings, and got myself mentored by more experienced executives. However, a series of negative experiences with some of our leaders caused me to quit and look for other opportunities.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THAT TYPE 8?

I wondered about that result as well, taking note that Type 8's seem to be, in a way, a fusion of Types 3 and 4. They are described as. "people of this personality type are essentially unwilling to be controlled, either by others or by their circumstances; they fully intend to be masters of their fate. Eights are strong willed, decisive, practical, tough minded and energetic." Maybe that explains this variant score: I have always been resentful of authority, preferring to do my own thing and be left alone until I was done. Maybe this was because I was an only child who was used to playing with my Lego alone, or was curling up in a corner with a good book in hand. What stood out to me in the exercise was the description that "while trust does not come easily to an Eight, when an Eight does take someone into the inner sanctum, they find a steadfast ally and stalwart friend. The Eight's powerful protective instincts are called into play when it comes to the defense of family and friends, and Eights are frequently generous to a fault in providing for those under their care." My closest friends can attest to this: for those whom I care for the most, I would take risks, and be willing to kill or die for them.

This penchant for protectiveness, even to the point of violence, was most clearly shown in UP, where I was often caught up in fights involving other fraternities, this being the reason for my eventual expulsion. It was probably a way of release for me, and a way to prove myself (type 3) and be left alone (type 4?). This tendency, however, is not that bad now. Time, experiences and maturity have contributed much to my personal growth, as has being blessed with an unusually patient and loving wife, who understands my idiosyncrasies. I am not prone to physical manifestations of anger, but my mouth can get the better of me at times.

 "Leadership is understanding people and involving them to help you do a job. That takes all of the good characteristics, like integrity, dedication of purpose, selflessness, knowledge, skill, as well as determination not to accept failure." - Admiral Arleigh A. Burke

No comments:

Post a Comment