Thursday, November 12, 2015

MM Leadership Call To Arms MM Leader Richard Tan


Good morning everyone
What I will share today is what changed my life as a leader. These are a few statements I have learned from John D. Rockefeller which supports my vision of creating a poverty free Philippines and how each of us can contribute to bring this to reality.
It all starts with this statement
"I believe in the supreme worth of the individual and in his right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. "
Growing up as a leader in my own field I always wondered what my vision is. I tell my dad I am not sure what I wanted. I know where I am good at but I don't see it adding up, until I saw this and agree with his belief. I believe in the good of each and every person, and that I believe in creating opportunities. Leaders like us need, to create opportunities for men.  
Every day we see hundreds of Filipinos striving to earn what, minimum wage, money barely enough to feed their sons and daughters. This is not the Philippines I want to see before I die. I reread the statement and continue to reflect on the words this right does not mean entitlement but an opportunity for people to be free to pursue what they wanted. Unfortunately what we are encountering in the Philippines brain drain, Unemployment or even people working as OFW is not because people are lazy but opportunities are lacking. As I continue reading this passion started to burn within my heart.
"I believe in the dignity of labor, whether with head or hand; that the world owes no man a living but that it owes every man an opportunity to make a living. "
Wow, he captured it in a perfect statement. How then do I achieve the first statement, It is by creating those opportunities. In my world of business we are changing the lives of Filipinos. We are creating opportunities for good employment and decent salary that a family would be able to send their kids to college and pursue opportunities but as I write this paper is it just the business process outsourcing sector that should do this. The answer is HELL NO! We are leaders in our own respective fields. Let me say that again we are LEADERS it means we are given the power authority and the trust to make a change in things. Let's make products better, margins higher so that we will have the opportunity to provide a better life to our employees. Things may not be as big but every single person we could help counts. Let us take part in any way we can. We are the people Rizal said to be the future of this nation. Let's be it. I think am hearing these words going through your mind. How then do we help the uneducated, the poor? Solving poverty is not that easy. I would agree in part. Then we go on to the next.
"I believe that the rendering of useful service is the common duty of mankind and that only in the purifying fire of sacrifice is the dross of selfishness consumed and the greatness of the human soul set free."
Again, let's put what we can do to good use. Uneducated, then let's educate. Why can't we teach simple useful work to people? English to help people be call center agent, Typing to become medical transcriptionist, shoveling "para gumawa ng butas" just kidding Prof. Why can't we teach people who want something in life to become capable citizens. If we see ourselves as smart then teach. If we are skillful then we should train. Let's not put our talents to waste.
"I believe that the rendering of useful service is the common duty of mankind and that only in the purifying fire of sacrifice is the dross of selfishness consumed and the greatness of the human soul set free."
Now as I end this, we always hear things about how Philippines is, like it is third world poor or illiterate. I want this to stop. If China can be a strong country with a billion people we are just 100 million people. Only a small fraction we need to help and inspire. We are LEADERS, we are not born, made or placed here for no reason. We are not here to just listen, but instead we are here to make a change. I urge you to join me in my belief. I urge you to join me in my call. Let's do our own little things to teach, train, and make our country a country we can be proud of. This is how I am now and someday this is something I want all of us to say. I am a FILIPINO, I am PROUD to be one. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment