Monday, November 2, 2015

Enneagram by Richard Tan xxx

Richard Tan (sending in soft copy)

The enneagram is a good tool to measure our leadership styles. Going over the process of looking at the result of the enneagram gives me an insight on the type of leader I am. Learning in the leadership program of Ateneo always states that before anything else it is important to know oneself. I have taken numerous self-reflection exams to examine who I am as a leader. Also went through leadership development exercises, mind mapping and problem solving courses to develop myself. This one will the latest add to the list.
The result I got where it states that I am a challenger sounds amazing but I am a bit surprised to get it but after reading what is in the description that I am "Concerned with strength. Being in power, in charge Self-reliant, Independent doesn't know when to stop, my way or no way, likes to confront Protective of the weak Justice Direct to the point, dominant, domineering. I realized this thing is pretty accurate.
My secondary personality is a reformer is also hit close to home. "Grew up with parents who expected the best, Principled and strong, Strong need to be right and to do the right thing, Tendency to correct errors - of self and of others, Voice inside the mind constantly challenging inner critic, fears being condemned, Others may see you as judgmental, Difficulty in experiencing pleasure or having fun and Anger.
This first two sections that I have read in the slides made me concerned, the issue here is that it sounds just like me. It made me concerned as I reflect because is this really how I make people feel but as I go through the second power point file I saw my potential. The perfecter as heavy as it sounds helps people be better. That is how I see myself in the organization. I normally rub off as someone judgemental and domineering but as I get over that state and as they see themselves being helped and developed that walls go down and I get to operate on people. As far as being the challenger decisiveness is one of the things the team look up to me for. I did a few bad decisions before that made me who I am now. Decisive is both good and bad for a leader. Right now if there is no rush to make a decision within a given day I try not to decide right away, just to let the facts settle in first.
In terms of learning I saw that there are huge areas for me to work on. Both my primary and secondary traits show that I can be harsh in my criticisms. I would definitely agree here, I guess it stems out of seeing how everything works and expecting everyone to see the same. This is a reason why people normally gets to tears when I talk to them even if I try my hardest to be mellow. This is my biggest take away in this exercise.
Moving forward I will be taking care of the words that would come out of my mouth so as not to hurt people. I will be doing this without losing my strengths which includes pushing towards a goal and being aggressive. I know I will be facing more challenges as I get more involved with the problems of the business not just sales but HR and IT. Being strong minded is something I need to keep in order to stand against adversities. It is tough specially when there is no right and wrong answers. In my life the hardest thing to decide is the choosing between right and right. I am not really sure if being a perfectionist and holding back the team is something I would address for now. I need to weigh whether not pushing so hard on quality first before taking on new things is the right way to go. I still believe in building a strong base before growing. Growing leaders first before expanding.



As a last portion of this paper I know there is a standard in terms of writing a thousand word essays an d this one is still short. I still see myself as a person who do not want to say 1 thing in a thousand words. Like my personality assessment say, I'd rather be straight to the point and say 1 thing the shortest way possible. This is a meaningful experience for myself but I can no longer elaborate what I have learned in this activity I believe I have shared it all.  <Please level up>

No comments:

Post a Comment