Sunday, November 29, 2015

MM Leader Reflection 3: My Passion by Leader Justin Joseph Quilon

LEADERSHIP 
Reflection 3: Passion
Written by: Justin Joseph P. Quilon

My Mentor once asked me this question, "What will you do if you earn 20 million a month?" During that time, I wasn't able to give a concrete answer. Though the question may be simple at first, however when you think about it further it is a deep question. What you will do is not anymore about the money. It is more of what you truly love to do and give to the world even without pay. I believe that he is asking me this question. What am I passionate about?

I'm very thankful for this opportunity to reflect and share what I am passionate about. I've been so interested in Technology. I graduated BS Computer Engineering in Don Bosco Technical College. Though I graduated and worked in the Telecommunications industry and IT field, I still feel that there is something missing. I know that there is something that I am looking forward to and something different that excites me other than Technology and IT.  

Let me share with you the things that I am passionate about. These are the things that I will do not because of the pay but because I am fulfilled when doing them.





Love of Sharing and Teaching 
While I was working in SMART and gaining my experience, I was given a chance to teach in Don Bosco. If you saw my Genogram, I have family members and relatives around me who are teachers. I totally love this experience. My initial reason for teaching was simply to give back to my school and pay forward by helping others who will be the future engineers of our society. After this wonderful experience, I am now aware that it is a very fulfilling job and I agree with my high school teacher who was a missionary in Papua New Guinea. She told me that seeing her students grow and improve is very satisfying. Teaching is a noble job, not everyone wants to teach specially in the corporate world. While others are concerned of job security and not sharing what they know, I can't help it but teach and give wisdom to those who are working with me. I believe that this is my passion.I love teaching and sharing knowledge to others who are in need. I was once told that if I am a level 2 on a certain skill, I should be willing to help those who are at level 1 or 0. This is one of the principles that is ingrained in me. Even if I am already earning 20 million a month, I will still be a wisdom giver and share the insights that I know will help others improve and get better in their life. 

Live a Life of Learning
I am a forever student. I love learning. I believe that every day is an opportunity to learn something new. If every day is a test, I'm sure we get better and better as the days go by. One of my mentors told me that experience is our teacher but reflected experience is the best teacher. This may be the reason why God lead me to take this class as my first subject in MBA. The leadership class is full of reflection and self-awareness. One of the best take away from this class is the sharing and reflections of my classmates whom I believe are the modern-day heroes of our country.

"Learning Never Stops", I read this from one (1) of the T-shirts I saw on Facebook. I agree with this message. I can associate my desire for learning to my Enneagram in which I was classified as an Achiever Type. Achievers are continuous learners. May it be from the books they read or the life experience they have, I believe that it is from their learnings that they are able to achieve what their heart's desire. 

If I am not taking up my MBA, I'm sure that I will still be enrolled to a different course because I have an insatiable hunger for learning. My passion for learning is connected to my first passion which is sharing and teaching. You cannot give what you do not have, this is one of the lessons I learned when I was studying in Don Bosco. I am blessed to have learning as one of my passion because I know that I will be sharing my learnings to others.

Leave a Legacy by Building Leaders
Every great company is continuously growing because of their leaders. The faster they build their leaders the faster they grow as a company. Being one of the leaders in the company where I work in, I am tasked to build teams and handle different types of people. At first it was a challenge, always moving and adjusting to different personalities. Despite of the challenges I encountered, I am still grateful for the opportunity to work with different people. It is my pleasure to help the company by developing the people I am working with. I believe that these guys will be the future leaders of our company. I am very passionate in guiding and mentoring them. 

The company I'm working in is an international company and it is growing really fast. Every year we expand exponentially. As the business grows, the need for more people grows as well. This is one of the reasons why I'm working hard. We need more leaders in our company and I believe that these are exciting times because there are a lot of opportunities for fellow Filipinos. 

I am very thankful to God for placing me in a position wherein I could help other Filipinos by providing them with opportunities. As a bonus, God also gave me the responsibility of being a steward of my teammates. I'm fortunate to handle those who are still starting their career. I share with them my learnings from my experiences. I serve as their mentor by bringing out the best in them. I always tell them that soon they will be leading their own teams and I hope and pray that they bring with them the culture that we currently have to their future teams. 

I look forward to help develop more leaders in the future. I'll be doing my best to impart with them the learnings I got from my defining moments to the lessons I learned from other leaders. The brilliant author and speaker Robin Sharma once said this "Nothing can stop a person who refuses to be stopped". Nothing can stop me from pursuing my passion, even if there are times that I'm afraid or I have doubts. At the end of the day, I still push forward, move and continue with my passion which is learning, sharing, and building others to be leaders.

Thank you for sharing your time and reading this short reflection. I hope I was able to impart learnings and inspire you through this article.


Regards,
Justin
  

No comments:

Post a Comment