Sunday, November 29, 2015

Cebu Regis Leadership Enneagram Test Result by Leader Andre Lito Ladan

Regis Cebu Leadership
Leader ANDRE LITO LADAN 
Enneagram
            Based on the Lifeline-Defining moments assignment I've experienced four defining moments in my life;
            a. At  20 years old- when I have to work to feed myself together with 4 other classmates. It showed me the realities of life
            b. At 23 years old – I failed a mission because of my swag and incompetence. It taught me humility and helped shape my work ethic. From then on I try to learn even the most mundane of task as long as it is within my responsibility.
            c. At 32 years old – I got sick and despite the hours I poured at work often sacrificing time for my family it was my family who were with me and nursed me back to health.
            d. At 36 years old – at a seven habits program, I was forced to make a credo and it became the guiding principle of my leadership.



            Based on my Enneagram test I am a type 8 challenger/leader, I could also be a type 7 enthusiast or a type 1 reformer.
A Type Eight In Brief Eights are self-confident, strong, and assertive. Protective, resourceful, straight-talking, and decisive, but can also be ego-centric and domineering. Eights feel they must control their environment, especially people, sometimes becoming confrontational and intimidating. Eights typically have problems with their tempers and with allowing themselves to be vulnerable. At Their Best: self- mastering, they use their strength to improve others' lives, becoming heroic, magnanimous, and inspiring.[1]
            My first defining moment contributed to my desire to be self reliant and with that self reliance I became confident and learned to control the circumstances and environment I am in, which is a characteristic of a type 8. As a 20 year old living without the support of a family I learned the harsh realities of life. I was fortunate enough to be around four friends who shared the same fate as mine and steadied me during those times. Earning a living to feed oneself without the support of a family made growing up really fast. I may still be free-spirited and carefree but I've always checked if there was food on the table.
            My second defining moment may also is a manifestation of my type 8 personality. During this period I was so dependent on one person in performing a task. With me being so overconfident of the situation without even ensuring the completion of the task, the task failed because of that overdependence and from then on I tried to learn everything to cover all bases. As it is with the military profession, human life is at stake thereby the need for competence. I have also learned to try controlling every situation to ensure a positive outcome. My desire to control even helped me a great deal when I was assigned with the Presidential Security Group. During that time I was part of one of the many advance security teams that protects the President. My desire to control any given situation helped me a lot in planning security operations for the President which allowed me to cover all bases and ensure everybody's compliance.
            As I reflect on it now, I know that fully embracing that type 8 personality is not that healthy physically, emotionally and mentally. Maintaining a type 8 personality for a long periods under high stress situations will eventually burn anyone out as what happened to me. As I've grown older I've learned when to stop and approach things differently. I may not be able to do it all the time but having the awareness of when to stop is a great help.
            The Enneagram test also showed that I can also be a type 7 personality. Sevens are extroverted, optimistic, versatile, and spontaneous. Playful, high-spirited, and practical, they can also misapply their many talents, becoming over- extended, scattered, and undisciplined. They constantly seek new and exciting experiences, but can become distracted and exhausted by staying on the go. They typically have problems with impatience and impulsiveness. At Their Best: they focus their talents on worthwhile goals, becoming appreciative, joyous, and satisfied.[2]
            In retrospect I may have been a type 7 since I was very young. I've always been an extrovert, always preferring the company of friends. I am a very practical person yet playful and high spirited. I am a sucker for trying new things even to the point of stupidity. I have been impulsive and impatient. For a long time I have been this person, probably since the sixth grade up to my late 20's, I remember having a very easy time learning new skills like learning to play musical instruments or studying new software. But that kind of attitude got me in trouble a lot of times and that lack of discipline forced me to adapt so that I could perform my duties.
            However I've never understood that that particular personality can also become positive. My third defining moment made me realize the importance of that type 7 personality, because of that experience I have always set aside time for family and fun. Ever since that ordeal my whole family spent more time and resources for adventure and travelling. We've come to believe that travelling is an education on its own, and we endeavor to make at least two family trips per year. We may not be financially well off but we strive to create memories that we will always cherish. I want my children to remember beautiful memories of their family while they are growing up so that they may be able to learn from it and create more beautiful memories to their own families by sharing love and their precious time. Presently, I still seek new and exciting experiences, I am still spontaneous and optimistic but all of that will always be a balancing act to maintain harmony at work and at home.
            Type Ones are conscientious and ethical, with a strong sense of right and wrong. They are teachers, crusaders, and advocates for change: always striving to improve things, but afraid of making a mistake. Well-organized, orderly, and fastidious, they try to maintain high standards, but can slip into being critical and perfectionistic. They typically have problems with resentment and impatience. At Their Best: wise, discerning, realistic, and noble. Can be morally heroic.[3] As I read the definition of type ones and look back deep into my past, I can remember that my type one personality came from my father. He is the embodiment of that personality. He was a perfectionist and an idealist. He was hard on us especially when it came to ethical issues and high standards. My father who has worked for the government all his life made sure that he ingrained on us the value of honesty and service. His teachings became intrinsic not only to me but to my other siblings as well. He was an advocate of change and always trying to improve things. I've always understood that and had a good sense of right and wrong but I've always struggled when it comes to clear purposes and directions (probably because I'm spontaneous)

            My fourth defining moment helped me nurture my type 1 personality. We were forced to make our credo in our seven habits program that was part of our academic requirements. I came up with Good, Better, Best. Build good bridges of friendship, make better self, and bring out the best in people. It eventually became my personal compass. It has become one of the guiding principles that I try to live by.

No comments:

Post a Comment