Thursday, November 12, 2015

MM Leadership CTA by Maricon Bangayan

Good day Prof. Jorge Saguinsin!

Submitting my Call to Arms Speech.
I will be delivering my speech on our Team Building Activity.

Thank you for understanding.

A VERY SPECIAL LOVE

Professor Jorge Saguinsin and fellow leaders, Good Evening! 

I believe that every child is a blessing and a gift from above.  Our children complete our family.  Parents waited for nine months to see their little bundle of joy.  But what if, you are blessed with a child with special needs?  How will you feel as a parent?  Will you consider this as a punishment because you did not live a good life or a curse because you've done something bad to anyone or you are a parent that can give love more than what is expected from you? 

My dear leaders, I can relate to this.  I gave birth to my first child last 2004.  He was normal, his newborn screening is within normal limits and his body parts are all complete.  At a young age, he was sweet and intelligent.  But during his toddler to pre-school years, we noticed that there is something different about him.  He always exhibits fidgeting; he was uncontrollable and can't stay at a place for a long period of time and has no social interaction with other children.  We brought him to a Behavioral Pediatrician and he was given an initial diagnosis of at risk ADHD.  We enrolled him to Occupational Therapy for Behaviour Modification.  When he turned seven years old, he was then diagnosed with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).

We all know that parents give unconditional love to their children.  Children with special needs are not sent to special parents rather they make us, their parents special.  Being employed in a SPED School, I can see how parents give time to their child on a daily basis. Every milestone of their child is like a treasure found because they can see that their child is happy and ready to live a perfect life.   They would often ask how their child behaves or interact inside the classroom.  Every little achievement like saying thank you, sharing food or helping their classmate is like an academic accomplishment, which make them so proud of their child.  These kids are the sweetest kids that I know, I could see how affectionate and warm they hug their mom, how they kiss and fondly hug their caregiver, maybe because of the unconditional love they are receiving from their parents and family.  This is how they perceived the world around them – peaceful and loving. 

When I am with these kids, it melts my heart because I can feel that they are yearning for acceptance and belongingness.   It means so special to me when they call my name, hold my hands or talk to me simply because I know somehow I touched their small world.

My son is now in Grade 6 and top 7 in class for this quarter.  We showered him with so much love, acceptance and understanding of what he can and can't do.  Because we were guided with his situation, we were able to show the same kind of love to our other children.  We appreciate them not only because of their achievement but even of the smallest thing that they do.  We know that our three children are very special in their own way. 

My dear leaders, nothing we can teach our children is more important than the LOVE we can give them.  Give A VERY SPECIAL LOVE to your children because for one day when you look back and you will realize that they were the biggest things.
I would end my speech with lines from the song A Very Special Love, "You are not like the rest; I know you are one of the best; you give more than you should; and take nothing in return; stay always with me, and I always will be the one person,
that you can count on, always to love you."
Thank you and Good Evening!







  

2 comments:

  1. Maricon, this should have won the best article (in my assessment, of course). The organization was good, creating proper elevation of reader emotion from your introduction to main part to the closing of the article. Reading the article for the first time made me cry (maybe because I can relate to you as a mother) but more importantly, I think because you successfully and clearly depicted the love or passion you have infused into the situation which lend credibility and ingenuity on the article thus inviting reader engagement. I hope that you stay with this endeavor even after your child recovers from ADHD (we pray). The ending made it all meaningful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss Mel! Thank you for this wonderful comment! I was crying when I was doing this article, of course because I am a mother. I wish that I was able to touch the parents in our class to give their children a very special love. Thank you again

    ReplyDelete