Sunday, November 29, 2015

MM Leadership, Reflection #3 My Passion by Alexis Tan


Reflection Paper #3

The game called LIFE. by Alexis Tan


My teacher in high school once asked me. "What is your passion?"
I didn't know what to answer back then, but now I am certain as to what that answer is. Back then I didn't know how important that question is to my life, but now I understand that is the question that will set the tone and direction in my life.

I thank Ateneo for obliging me this reflection, as this reflection, helped me articulate what my passions are. It allowed me to see for myself how my passion affects me in my daily life and how it reflect in everything that I do through my journey called life. 

Back when I was growing up in the province of Cebu, i remember that i was a shy child, unable to muster the courage to join a game of tag ,fear of rejection was always the cause. I was an  insecure provincial boy,who never played sports in my life. Like everything else in the provinces, life was very simple, so were the games all the kids played back then. Luksong baka, taguan, patintero and my favourite game: bahay-bahayan. Gradually, i mustered the courage to join the children playing out in our backyard. And gratefully I was welcomed with open arms and kind hearts.I had so much wonderful times back then playing those games. And wonderful memories playing with friends and neighbours doing silly games as we grow up. But then again, change happened. I was bound to leave for Manila and had to say good bye not only to my friends, classmates and loved ones. but also to my simple and cherished life in the province.



Needless to say I was in a shock  of my life. Entering a new school here, no one shared my interests in playing simple games of tag and 'endeavors
What drew me first to the game of basketball are the players. How they seem so confident and happy as they play the game. How adored they were by crowds of cheering spectators. Some may describe them as "cocky". But that time, I see a group of people that I can look up to, focused, driven and motivated. And more importantly, they are popular(adaptable).
And as I took up this sport, in my early years as I child, I would say this game has taught me a lot. And in many instances, influenced a lot on my decisions as an adult. It has truly made an impact on my choices in my daily life.

How easy to say that my Passion is Basketball.
Like most Filipinos, Basketball is not just a game, but a passion, its is a way of (Sports) life here.
but unlike most, i drew upon these lessons I learned from this game, that I think led through life with direction and  guidance.

Here are some of the lessons I learned while playing and immersing in this game of basketball.

Strengthen your core - just like in exercise, you have to have a strong centre of gravity, to keep your balance and to be able to do all the movements necessary to perform at a high level. In life, you have a lot to balance: family,work, friends and more. Its vital to have a strong core values to achieve balance.

Hard work - no one likes to do training, but obviously very essential to be able to execute flawlessly. In work and in family, you have to lead by being a role model. And there's no way to do that than to get your hands dirty and lead others by example.

Teamwork - not only did my teammates motivate me to be stronger and better, they also gave me the courage to take on challenges like guarding the best player of another team. It makes it fun and easy to attain your goals, when you have a supportive group at your back.Not only should you be a willing leader but also a willing follower as well.

Discipline - by putting up long hours of hard work to improving yourself especially when no one is around to guide and motivate you; to regulate your actions for the obtain one's goal. 

Ability to adjust and take what the defense gives you - be flexible enough to change direction and game plans to still reach your goal despite many obstacles along the way, particularly from your opponents.

Be ready when ever your number is up, heart, mind and body.- abilities and talent are not enough, you need opportunities to show your worth to your team and coach. So be ready when that time comes, there might not be another chance the next time.

Have an expertise, a job that you are uniquely very good at. Not only will you be more valuable to your team, but you can defeat your competition and they wont have anyone to counter you with. 

Perseverance - the determination and the will to see things through especially when you are down 20 points in a game. Seldom does life give you a smooth and easy path. So be ready to charge on and take it in stride. Winners do that all the time.

To have an ability to let go - to pick up yourself after every mistake. Develop a selective amnesia for making mistakes but remember what those mistakes were and move forward. Don't be afraid of failure. We can't win every time.

Follow the rules of the game - In life,at work or in my journey in life
like in the game of basketball, this is where I learned that there are rules inside and outside the court. You may get away for breaking it, but you will get caught eventually.

And Lastly, you must have a profound love for this game. Despite broken fingers, scrapes and scratches. Injured tendons or ligaments, you still forge ahead and rely on your passionate spirit to carry you thru any trials in life. 


And after learning all this lessons, I hope to be able to share my deep love for this game to my son and daughter so that they may also feel and see the joy of playing and loving this game called basketball and to be able to prepare in the challenges of our so called Life.
Be able to teach a child or a developing player how to improve his game, furthermore to use this knowledge of the game, to improve on a bigger stage called life.
The intense feeling of the game, the tense moment of releasing the ball from your hand through the out stretched hands of your opponent on your face and the elation of seeing the ball go trough the hoop. The glory of making the game winning shot! oh how wonderful that feeling.  I hope to share this and the lessons that comes with it to the young hearts and minds of our future generation. So that they may find inspiration and joy in playing for each other.

This is why we strive for each other. This why we bleed and sacrifice each game. 
This is why we still play this game!

No comments:

Post a Comment